Friday 3 August 2012

Almost time...

So the big day is almost upon us. In two days time we head off to Heathrow to begin the adventure of a lifetime. The last few weeks have flown by scarily quickly and despite two years of planning I have been rushing around buying last minute bits and pieces. In fact the last online order arrived today - talk about cutting it fine.

I have just spent the last 3 hours packing my bags which proved more complex than you might think. It isn't easy packing for a nine day trip which will include exposure to all weather extremes. On the first attempt I fitted in everything except the sleeping bag which was a slight problem. On the second attempt I had no shoes.



On the third and final attempt I managed to squash everything in and get the bag done up.  Many items are now packed into my hand luggage which should prove entertaining should they need to search my bag. I do have a morbid fear of an airline losing my luggage and always stand at the luggage hall with a mild sense of hysteria. Hence for this trip anything I cannot manage without is staying with me come hell or high water.



I have found it useful when researching this trip to read what other people took so here is my list for any future trekkers who stumble onto this blog.

1 pair of walking boots
1 pair of trainers
2 short sleeve tops
2 long sleeve tops
Thermal top
Thermal longjohns
Liner socks
Thermal socks
Summit socks
3 pairs of walking trousers (all can be converted to shorts)
Waterproof overtrousers
Goretex coat
3 fleeces (varying thicknesses)
Gloves and silk liner glovers
Fleece hat
Sunhat

Camelbak (2litre)
Water bottle (1 litre)
Water purifiers and neutralisers
Walking poles
3 season sleeping bag and silk liner
Pillow
Sunglasses
Suncream

Blister plasters
Bandages
Imodium
Toilet roll
Wet wipes
Toothbrush and toothpaste
Nurofen
Insect repellent (and bite soother if the insects aren't repelled!)
Malarone
Diamox (to take if needed)
Ankle/knee supports
Lots of snacks

I guess the question now is ... what have I forgotten?

No comments:

Post a Comment